Whether you’re hosting a small get together or looking for a sweet activity to make with the kids, these Baking Therapy spooky s’mores bars are the perfect Halloween treat. They are sure to satisfy any sugar craving with the delicious layers of graham cracker cookie, crunchy meringue, rich chocolate and cute, but scary marshmallow ghosts. Have a boo-tiful and safe Halloween!
Spooky S’mores Bars
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 26-28 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 8 minutes
Servings: 12-16 bars
2 egg whites
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ sticks brown butter
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1. For the marshmallow meringue: in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the egg whites and sugar and place over a double boiler. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot to the touch, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, mix in the cream of tartar and vanilla. Place in stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on high for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is light, glossy and the bottom of the bowl has cooled to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9×9 square pan.
4. In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt the brown butter on medium-high. Cook the butter, swirling occasionally until it turns golden brown and nutty, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer the brown butter to a glass bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
5. Whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
6. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, cream together the brown butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and whisk on medium-high for 5-10 minutes until light and airy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Transfer half the dough to the pan and with your fingers press the dough firmly into the bottom.
7. Spread on half the marshmallow meringue, sprinkle with milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips. To the remaining dough, add cocoa powder and toss to mix. Layer the dough on top of the chocolate chips and pack it lightly into the pan.
8. Bake for 26-28 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before removing from the pan.
9. Transfer the remaining marshmallow meringue to a piping bag with a round tip. Once the cookie bar has cooled, pipe on the ghosts. Pipe a ball shape for the head and pull out for the body, tapering off the end as you gradually decrease pressure. Melt a few chocolate chips and using a toothpick, draw on the eyes.
10. With a blow torch, lightly toast the meringue for a smoky campfire taste.