These Baking Therapy homemade peppermint vanilla marshmallows are soft, fluffy and they melt into the perfectly gooey topping on your hot cup of cocoa. Try different flavours like coconut or almond and make a big batch to gift over the holidays. Once you try homemade marshmallows, there’s no going back to store-bought!
Peppermint Vanilla Marshmallows With Hot Chocolate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Rest Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Servings: 16 marshmallows
¾ cup cool water, divided
6 tsp gelatin
2 cups granulated sugar
⅔ cup light corn syrup
½ tsp salt
½ tsp peppermint extract
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
¾ cup icing sugar
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1. Line a 9×9 square pan with parchment paper and grease generously with neutral oil or spray. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add ½ cup water, sprinkle over gelatin and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, ¼ cup water and salt. Once the mixture starts to boil, let bubble for 1 minute. Remove from stove and transfer to a bowl with a spout.
4. With the mixer on medium-low, slowly stream in the hot sugar liquid. Once the liquid is in, turn the mixer to high and whisk for 10 minutes until the mixture is nice and fluffy. Whisk in the peppermint and vanilla extract.
5. Transfer the marshmallows to the square pan, making sure to brush any tools you use with oil to avoid sticking. Smooth out the top using an offset spatula. Finally top the marshmallows with another sheet of greased parchment paper and let set for at least 2 hours at room temperature.
6. Remove the marshmallows from the pan. Brush a sharp knife with oil and slice the marshmallows into 16 squares, making sure to brush the knife with oil after every cut. Dust the marshmallows generously with icing sugar, making sure to cover every surface.
7. For the hot chocolate, in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, whisk together coconut milk, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Once the mixture is hot, add the chopped chocolate and whisk until melted. Continue to heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.