Lobster is truly at the heart of Prince Edward Island — and there is no better recipe than a lobster roll to let this local delicacy shine. If you’re unsure how to cook it, this nutritious 7-ingredient recipe proves how easy it really is, while also being high in protein (win- win!). For this recipe, you simply boil the lobster for a few minutes, de-shell and then voila, it’s done! Or make it even easier and purchase lobster meat that’s ready-to-be eaten, no boiling or de-shelling necessary. We combine the tender lobster meat with creamy mayo, zesty lemon and crunchy celery to elevate the flavours and highlight its freshness. So load up your toasted, buttery buns with this delicious mixture and be prepared to enjoy every bite.
7-Ingredient PEI Lobster Rolls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes (depending on size of lobster)
Total Time: 20-30 minutes
1 lb cooked lobster meat (from 4 whole lobsters or 2 lbs of tails, knuckles and claws)
2 Tbsp mayo
2 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
1 celery stalk, finely diced
2 Tbsp finely chopped green onions, just the greens
¼ tsp sea salt and a few cracks of pepper to taste
1 tsp butter
4 hot dog style buns or Bibb/Boston lettuce wraps
Bibb or Boston lettuce
1. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. If you don’t have access to seawater, salt the water well with sea salt (not regular salt) and be very generous with it!
2. Add the whole lobster or if you’re just using the tails, knuckles or claws, place them in the boiling water and cover. If the lobster has bands on it, remember to remove them first.
3. Depending on the size of the whole lobster, it will take anywhere from 15-20 minutes to cook. If you’re just using the tails, claws and knuckles, it will take between 10-12 minutes.
4. While the lobster is cooking, combine the mayo, lemon juice, lemon zest, celery, green onion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
5. Once the lobster is cooked, place it on a tray to cool. You could also use an ice bath to stop the cooking (I don’t). Once it’s cooled, de-shell the lobster using kitchen shears. This is the fun part!
6. Cut the lobster meat into ½ to 1-inch pieces.
7. Combine the lobster in the bowl with mayo, celery, lemon and green onions and mix well.
8. Now it’s time to prep the buns. Melt butter in a wide saucepan over medium heat.
Related: Our Best Sandwich Recipes
9. If you don’t have hot dog brioche buns, slice the sides off, but only enough to make them flat, then place the flat side in the pan, and once it’s browned after a minute, flip to the other side to brown. Do this with each bun.
10. Place the buns on a tray, lay the lettuce leaves on the centre of each bun and fill with the lobster mixture. Top with extra green onion and a squeeze of lemon.