Say hello to your new favourite “Scotch” egg. These jammy eggs are wrapped in a bright and flavour falafel mixture, then fried to crispy golden perfection and topped with a drizzle of tahini lemon sauce. It makes an impressive meat-free appetizer, or try pairing it with a salad for a hearty, colourful meal.
Falafel Scotch Eggs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cool Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 eggs
For the falafel eggs
6 small eggs
1 ½ cups dried chickpeas, soaked in water for 24 hours and drained
¾ cup fresh parsley
½ cup fresh cilantro
½ small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
For the tahini sauce
½ cup tahini
¼ cup lemon juice
Water, if necessary
1. Boil eggs to a jammy consistency, about 5 minutes. Remove and place in a large bowl of ice water to cool. Once fully cooled, peel and set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor add chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pulse for about 1 minute, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture has a sandy texture. Transfer to a bowl.
Related: Green Onion Pancake Shawarma Recipe
3. Lay a square piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Scoop about ⅓ cup of the falafel mixture into the center of the plastic wrap and flatten it out into a circle, about 4-5 inches wide. Place a peeled egg in the center and pull the wrap up to encase the egg in the falafel mixture. Use the wrap and your hands to smooth out the egg, ensuring there are no cracks or holes around the egg. Repeat this step for the remaining eggs.
4. Transfer eggs to a small baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
5. Fill a small pot with frying oil about halfway. Heat the oil to 375° F.
6. Working 1-2 at a time, carefully place the eggs in the oil to fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until crispy and dark golden. Set aside on a cooling rack and fry remaining eggs.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tahini and lemon juice. Whisk until combined, adding water if necessary, to get a sauce consistency. Set aside until serving.
8. To serve the eggs, cut in half and drizzle with tahini lemon sauce.
Love this Menu Mashup? Try these Cheesy Croque Madame Rolls Drizzled with Hollandaise next!