Looking for a quick and easy summer baking idea? Say hello to this simple yet sophisticated homemade version of your favourite creme-filled chocolate cookies. They’re soft, chewy and best served with a cold glass of milk. To get that striking dark chocolate look and feel, try jet-black cocoa powder – don’t worry if you don’t have any though, traditional cocoa powder works great too. The real question is: Will you dunk, twist, or lick them?
Creme-Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 5-8 minutes
Total Time: 15-18 minutes
Servings: 14 sandwich cookies
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
½ cup coconut oil
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. For the chocolate cookies: Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, on medium-high speed, cream together brown sugar and butter until combined. Add egg and mix until fully incorporated, 1 minute. Turn off mixer, add the dry ingredients and start mixing on low, gradually increasing to medium until the dough starts to come together, about 2 minutes.
4. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough, roll between your palms to create a smooth ball and slightly flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness. Space the cookies at least 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets, bake for 5-8 minutes until the edges are set and the tops begin to crack. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and coconut oil. Add the icing sugar and mix until creamy. Finally mix in the vanilla.
6. To assemble: Scoop 1-2 tsp of filling on to the bottoms of half the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.