These tacos are crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. You can use any style of meat and toppings, but one of our favourites is caramelized grilled BBQ chicken. There’s an art to layering these tasty tacos. Start with your fresh frybread, shredded lettuce, grilled BBQ chicken, topped with your own quick homemade pebre (salsa, Chilean style) adapted from our Indigenous friends of Chile.
BBQ Chicken Frybread Tacos
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Rest Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
3 cups flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
3 cups milk or water (approx.)
2 cups finely diced fresh field tomatoes
½ cup finely diced red onions
½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp lime juice (about ½ fresh squeezed lime)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 pinch salt
8 5-oz cage-free chicken breasts
3 Tbsp butter and cooking oil, for frying
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 head lettuce, shredded
8 oz sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre, slowly add milk or water to the well and gently stir and fold until just combined. Dough will be slightly sticky. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
2. In a large cast iron pan, heat cooking oil to 350ºF.
3. Lightly flour your work surface and turn the dough onto floured surface. Sprinkle dough with flour and pat dough lightly until flour is absorbed. Cut off a piece of dough, flour lightly and pat piece of dough into a 4-inch diameter circle. Flatten and stretch between your hands to about ½ inch thick.
4. Gently place flattened dough into hot oil, cooking until golden brown, about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side, turning only once. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
5. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the pebre and let rest for the flavours to meld.
6. Thinly slice chicken breast lengthwise into ½ inch strips.
7. In a large cast iron pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add sliced chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook until no pink remains and internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Lightly brush with your favourite BBQ sauce. Grill until slightly caramelized and golden brown.
8. For each taco, place a piece of frybread on your plate, start with a handful of shredded lettuce, add strips of the caramelized chicken breast on top, dollop of sour cream, a few Tbsp of shredded cheese and top it off with a tablespoon of Pebre salsa.
Like Sharon’s BBQ chicken frybread tacos? Try her buffalo beef stew.