The holidays are full of indulgence, celebration and endless choices. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Shortbread or gingerbread? Pumpkin or pecan? For those of us who just can’t decide, or just need to try them all, these delightful little cookies are for you. A simple thumbprint cookie is all you need to make these tasty treats that pack all the flavours of your favourite holiday pies.
This way, you can sample all the best seasonal tastes in just a few bites, leaving you lots of room for more delicious sweets. This easy recipe will help you make a batch of decadent lemon, pecan and cranberry pie cookies, but feel free to get creative with more pie-fect fillings like banana cream or apple!
Pie Thumbprint Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: About 35 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1. In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter, icing sugar, brown sugar and almond extract until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With mixer on medium-low, beat in flour and salt until just combined.
2. Scoop out 1 Tbsp at a time and roll into balls. Arrange about 1-inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the tip of your thumb, create deep well into centre of each ball of dough, pinching any cracks that form around the well. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
3. Bake in 350ºF oven until light golden on the bottom and no longer shiny, about 12 minutes. If necessary re-shape well with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove to cooling rack; let cool completely.
Lemon Cream Filling
1/4 cup lemon curd
1/4 cup whipping cream (35%), whipped
1. Spoon lemon curd into the centre of the thumbprint cookies.
2. Using piping bag fitted with small star-tipped shape, pipe a small amount of whipped cream on top of lemon curd.
Pecan Pie Filling
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup pecan halves, chopped
2 Tbsp liquid honey
1.In small nonstick skillet over medium heat, combine brown sugar and butter, stirring until butter has melted. Stir in pecans, stirring until coated. Stir in honey. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. Spoon pecan filling into the centre of the thumbprint cookies.
Cranberry Pie Filling
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 rosemary sprig, and extra to garnish
1. In small saucepan, bring cranberries, sugar, water and rosemary sprig to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have popped and mixture is chunky, about 10 minutes. Discard rosemary sprig. Let cool.
2. Spoon cranberry filling into the centre of the thumbprint cookies. Garnish with rosemary.