There are times for ice cream made with a custard base that’s cooked over the stove and churned in an ice cream maker, but there are also times for a simple no-churn ice cream that comes together with few ingredients and tools. In this recipe, a simple no-churn rose ice cream studded with raspberries and pistachios is sandwiched between two cookies of your choice. I like using less-sweet and simpler cookies like speculoos cookies or sugar cookies to sandwich the ice cream.
No-Churn Rose-Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Rest Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
Servings: 10 to 12 ice cream sandwiches
9 oz (266 ml) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp culinary-grade rose water
¼ tsp salt
2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
1 ½ cups (160 g) fresh raspberries, divided
½ cup (60 g) roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
20 to 24 cookies of choice
1. Line a 9 x 13–inch (23 x 33–cm) baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some parchment paper hanging over both sides. Set the baking pan aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, vanilla, rose water, and salt. Set the milk mixture aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the heavy cream on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until medium-stiff peaks form.
4. Fold about 1 cup (60 g) of the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture to lighten the milk mixture. Then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
5. In a small bowl, mash ¾ cup (80 g) of the raspberries with a fork. Fold the mashed raspberries and their juices, the remaining ¾ cup (80 g) of raspberries and the pistachios into the ice cream mixture.
6. Transfer the ice cream mixture into the prepared baking pan and cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze the ice cream for 4 to 5 hours (or preferably overnight) until it is firm.
7. Lift the ice cream from the baking pan and use a large knife or cookie cutter to cut out 10 to 12 portions roughly the same size as the cookies you are using.
8. To assemble the ice cream cookies, top a cookie with the ice cream, then place another cookie on top. Serve immediately.