We all know we need to eat more greens, and oftentimes that means eating lots and lots of salads. But as the weather cools down, a raw salad just doesn’t cut it anymore. It’s time to blend up those greens into a refreshing and creamy soup, and we have just the recipe. The fresh herbs add a wonderful aromatic scent and flavour, while the avocado lends the soup a gorgeously creamy texture. Don’t forget to top with feta for the perfect salty finish!
Herby Green Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
5 oz or 1 small box of baby spinach
1½ cups fresh parsley, leaves and stems
1 cup fresh mint, leaves
½ cup fresh basil, leaves and stems
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable stock
2 avocados, 1 reserved for garnish
½ lime, juiced
¼ -⅓ cup crumbled feta
1. Heat a soup pot over medium heat, pour in the olive oil and swirl around the pot.
2. Add in the onions and cook until translucent.
3. Next, add in the spinach, parsley, mint and basil. Mix around until slightly wilted. Season with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
4. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Carefully blend the soup with 1 whole avocado, squeeze in the juice from half a lime, re-season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
6. If it’s too thick, add more broth to get your desired consistency.
7. To serve, pour into individual bowls and garnish with crumbled feta, diced avocado and cracked pepper.
Love Tamara and Sarah’s herby green soup? Try their sourdough toasties next!