If you’re looking for the perfect vegetarian burger, this is it. Halloumi cheese has won the hearts of many because of its salty nature and high melting point, making it the perfect choice for grilling and frying. Pairing it with a fresh, colourful slaw that’s loaded with vibrant herbs brings out a symphony of complex flavours and textures. While you can certainly season the halloumi burgers any way you like, we chose to add a Middle Eastern spin with the sumac sauce and quick drizzle of pomegranate molasses at the end. If that’s not your thing, try replacing the sumac with oregano and the pomegranate molasses with a squeeze of lemon. Although there are a few moving parts to this recipe, it comes together very quickly, making it an ideal weeknight meal.
Rainbow Veggie Halloumi Burgers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Rainbow Veggie Slaw:
½ cup shredded purple cabbage
½ cup shredded green cabbage
1 carrot, ribboned
⅓ cup cilantro and mint leaves, roughly ripped a part
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ lemon, squeezed
1 tsp sumac (optional)
Pinch of salt and pepper
⅓ cup Greek yogurt or labneh
½ tsp sumac
½ clove garlic, minced
1 brick halloumi cheese, sliced into 4 equal pieces
2-4 burger buns
Drizzle of pomegranate molasses
A few sprigs mint and cilantro leaves
1. For the rainbow veggie slaw, toss cabbage and carrot together with the cilantro, mint, oil, lemon, sumac, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. For the sumac sauce, whisk the Greek yogurt or labneh together with the sumac and garlic. Set aside.
3. For the halloumi, heat an oiled grill on medium-high.
4. Slice the halloumi in half down the center, and then halve it again to create 4 pieces.
5. Place it on the hot grill for 2-3 minutes per side, until crisp grill marks form.
6. Place the buns on the grill for a few minutes to lightly toast.
7. To assemble, spread the sumac sauce on the bottom of the buns, top with a small handful of the rainbow cabbage slaw, place 1-2 pieces of grilled halloumi on top, drizzle a small amount of pomegranate molasses, and finish with a few sprigs of fresh mint and cilantro.
8. Serve immediately with remaining slaw on the side of the halloumi burger.