Graduation — whether it be from high school, university or a toddler who just learnt to walk — is a great achievement. It calls for celebration and cupcakes are a great way to do this. This cupcake recipe has a perfect balance of tart summer raspberries and aromatic vanilla beans. They’re oh-so delicious and are decorated just for the occasion that’ll surely “wow” the crowd, big or small.
Easy Graduation Cupcakes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Servings: 12 cupcakes
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup whole milk
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp whole milk
½ tsp white food colouring (optional)
12 mini peanut butter cups
12 chocolate squares
4 licorice candy strings (cut into 24 equal pieces)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a cupcake tin with paper cups.
2. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients listed for the cupcakes (except the raspberries). Using an electric mixer or whisk, combine to form smooth mixture.
3. Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon, fill the cupcake tin with the batter. Push in two raspberries per cupcake and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once baked, let the cupcakes cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
4. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream: using a mixer, whisk the butter and icing sugar together until light, pale yellow and fluffy. Add the vanilla, milk, and food colouring. Whisk for another 2 minutes.
5. Using a spoon, fill the piping bag with the prepared buttercream and pipe it on top of the cupcakes. Then, add a peanut butter cup (upside down) on top of each frosted cupcake.
6. Attach a chocolate square on top of the peanut butter cup using a small amount of buttercream. Dip one end of two cut licorice strings into the buttercream and place onto the centre of the chocolate square. Then place a Smartie on top using a little buttercream.
Like Yakuta’s cupcake recipe? Try her one-bowl flowerpot cupcakes.