You know spring is near with the first sight of rhubarb. These Baking Therapy rhubarb sour cream muffins are soft, sweet and studded with tangy rhubarb. The sour cream adds to the tender crumb and the brown sugar streusel lends the perfect crunchy texture. This recipe comes together easily (just 35 minutes!) — and if you’re not a fan of rhubarb, simply swap in for your favourite springtime fruit.
Rhubarb and Sour Cream Streusel Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 25-35 minutes
Total time: 35-45 minutes
Servings: 8 large or 16 regular muffins
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup flour
⅓ cup rolled oats
4 Tbsp butter, room temperature, but still cool
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 large egg
6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
½ cup sour cream
⅓ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1 cup rhubarb, diced into small chunks
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line large or regular muffin tins with paper cups.
2. For the streusel: in a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, roll oats and salt. Work the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers until it’s incorporated and crumbly. Set aside.
3. For the muffins: whisk together the flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, sour cream, milk and vanilla.
4. Create a well in the centre of dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, fold the batter together until it’s just combined, the batter will be very thick. Add the chopped rhubarb and fold to combine.
5. Using a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups about half full. Spoon about 1 Tbsp of the streusel overtop of each. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.