This warm and hearty stew filled with chunks of buffalo stew meat, vegetables, potatoes, corn and peas will fill you up and keep you happy! A Dutch oven or heavy saucepan is the best way to cook this buffalo beef stew: which is classic comfort food served in a bowl.
Buffalo Beef Stew
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
¼ cup canola oil or olive oil
¼ cup butter
2 lb(s) buffalo stew meat, cubed
1 splash red wine
2 onions, chunky slices
2 clove garlic, diced
4 cups beef broth
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp steak spice
Few sprigs fresh thyme and rosemary
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced chunky
4 stalks celery, diced
2 cup corn
2 cup peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a large pan, heat oil and butter.
2. Add the buffalo meat and brown the meat on all sides.
3. Add red wine, onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
4. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, steak spice, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and bring to a boil.
5. Add carrots, potatoes, celery, corn and peas.
6. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 1-2 hours.
7. Remove bay leaf.
Tip: To thicken the stew, shake 1 part flour to 1 part cold water in a covered shaker. Add slowly into the buffalo stew until desired thickness is reached.
8. Serve with fresh hot baked bannock or buns of your choice!