This Baking Therapy Basque burnt cheesecake is a no-fuss, foolproof dessert that requires only seven ingredients and is super easy to make. Yes, it’s intentionally burnt, which gives it a slightly bitter caramelized flavour that pairs perfectly with the creamy interior. The texture is lighter and less rich than traditional cheesecake, ensuring you can have more than a single slice in one sitting.
Basque Burnt Cheesecake Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 50 to 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 10 to 12
3 ½ cups (875 g) cream cheese, room temperature
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
½ tsp salt
⅓ cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Round Springform Cake Tin, Amazon, $32.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with 2 15×18-inch sheets of parchment paper, making sure the parchment comes up the sides all the way around the pan.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese until light and smooth, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium-low, stream in the granulated sugar. Cream until the sugar has dissolved, another 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides.
3. Increase the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, making sure it’s fully incorporated and scraping down the sides of the bowl before adding the next.
4. Reduce the speed to medium-low and stream in the heavy cream. Add the vanilla and salt and scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Mix until smooth and creamy, another 10-15 seconds. Remove from the mixer and sift in the flour over top. Use a spatula to fold in the flour until just combined.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes until the top is deeply golden (resembling a burnt top), the cake has puffed up and the centre is still jiggly.
6. Let cool in the pan for 40 minutes then remove from the springform pan and let cool completely on a wire. Carefully peel off the parchment paper, cut into slices and enjoy!
All products featured on Food Network Canada are independently selected by our editors. For more products handpicked by our editorial team, visit Food Network Canada’s Amazon storefront. However, when you buy through links in this article or on our storefront, we earn an affiliate commission.