A Girl Guide favourite just got even more wholesome. These simple, seven-ingredient vegan thin mints are dairy-free, gluten-free and made without refined sugar. The almond flour gives them a rich and nutty flavour that’s still neutral enough to remind you of the real thing — only more delicious. Enjoy them straight out of the fridge with a glass of cold almond or oat milk.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan Thin Mint Cookies
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Rest Time: 60 minutes
Bake Time: 8 to 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Servings: 24 to 30 cookies
2 cups almond flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup + 3 tsp coconut oil, divided
¼ cup maple syrup
1 ¾ tsp peppermint extract, divided
⅛ tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips or chunks
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, cocoa powder, ¼ cup melted coconut oil, maple syrup, 1 ¼ tsp peppermint extract and sea salt until it forms a sticky, slightly crumbly dough. Divide the cookie dough into two parts and flatten into discs. Cover each disc in food wrap and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
3. Place one chilled dough disc on a piece of parchment paper and roll out until it’s about ¼ inch thick. Cut out circles using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, using up all the remaining dough scraps. Repeat with the second disc of chilled dough.
4. Put cookies on the lined baking sheet, spacing evenly and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet, about 20 minutes.
5. Once the cookies are cooled, make the chocolate coating. Combine chocolate chips and 3 tsp coconut oil in a small bowl and melt in the microwave in 15-second intervals or on the stove using a double boiler. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in a scant ½ tsp peppermint extract.
6. Carefully dip the cookies into the chocolate coating with a fork, flipping over to get all sides. Let any excess chocolate drip off before placing them on the baking sheet.
7. Cool the tray of dipped cookies in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens, about 20 to 30 minutes.
8. Store the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer and enjoy them chilled.