Just when you thought 2020 couldn’t get any scarier, along comes Halloween. And while we don’t know exactly what to expect from this year’s holiday, we do know you’ll need this recipe for miso caramel corn to get you through it. It’s the ultimate salty-sweet combo and it’s an easy treat to pack up and give away or — let’s be real — to enjoy curled up on the couch with your fave scary movie.
Miso Caramel Popcorn
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 cups
8 cups popped popcorn (from ½ cup kernels)
⅔ cup packed dark brown sugar
⅓ cup unsalted butter
3 Tbsp golden corn syrup
¼ tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp white miso
2 Tbsp black and white sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 250ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine sugar, butter and corn syrup in a medium pot. Set over medium-high heat to melt butter. Once butter has melted, stir mixture until combined.
3. Bring mixture to a boil, swirling occasionally. Continue to cook until temperature reaches 250ºF on a candy or instant-read thermometer, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, then whisk in baking soda (be careful as it will bubble up) until it is several shades lighter in colour and mixture is uniform. Whisk in miso and sesame seeds until fully incorporated.
4. Immediately drizzle mixture over popcorn and working quickly, stir to coat. Scrape popcorn onto prepared baking sheet and arrange in an even layer.
5. Bake until shiny and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. The best way to determine crispness is by carefully plucking a kernel from the baking sheet, letting it cool for a second or two and then trying it. It will still be a bit sticky at this point, but it should have a nice crunch. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes.