This is no ordinary brownie recipe. It’s made with a super secret ingredient — sweet potato! Sweet potatoes are undeniably delicious, loaded with nutrients and naturally gluten-free. If you’re looking for the perfect chocolatey, fudgy brownie with that beautiful shiny, crackly top, this Baking Therapy recipe was made for you.
The Fudgiest Sweet Potato Brownies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time 35 to 38 minutes
Total Time: 55 to 58 minutes
Servings: 9 brownies
1 cup sweet potato (about 2 or 3), mashed
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup chocolate chips
1. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool slightly and mash with a fork until smooth.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line and grease a 8×8-inch square pan.
3. Melt the bittersweet chocolate and coconut oil together, either in a double boiler or in the microwave, making sure to stir every 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs and brown sugar for about 5 minutes until lighter in colour and viscous.
6. On low speed, pour in chocolate and coconut oil mixture and the cocoa powder mixture. Add the sweet potato and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smooth out the top and bake for 35 to 38 minutes, until a toothpick when inserted comes out mostly clean.
8. Let the brownies cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
Like Sabrina’s baking? Check out her easy recipe for soft rolls.