Tahini adds a pleasingly nutty, bitter note to this sophisticated summer berry pound cake, while lemon zest and juice, in both the cake and glaze, cut through this dessert’s richness. The addition of the oil-rich tahini keeps the cake moist for days on the counter, though it will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator. It’s just sweet enough without tasting cloying, allowing every ingredient to shine through. The cake gets a final flourish from edible flowers, making summer tea time that much more magical. And, it’s dairy-free!
Dairy-Free Summer Berry, Lemon and Tahini Pound Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Cooling Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 7 hours 40 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
½ cup well-stirred tahini, room temperature
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1¾ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine-grain salt
½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
Zest of 1 lemon
2 cups fresh or frozen (do not defrost) berries (raspberries, blueberries, sliced strawberries)
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp almond milk
Zest of ½ lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a standard loaf pan and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang for easy removal.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat tahini, oil, eggs, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until lighter in colour and texture.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Turn on mixer to low and slowly add flour mixture, alternating with milk and finishing with flour mixture. Stop mixer before all of the flour is incorporated. Using a spatula, gently fold in fresh berries and lemon zest. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with just a few damp crumbs but is mostly clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife. Using the parchment overhang, transfer pound cake to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk icing sugar, lemon juice and milk until smooth. Keep the fully cooled pound cake on the wire rack and place the rack on top of a clean baking sheet.
2. Pour glaze evenly over cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. While glaze is still wet, top with lemon zest and edible flowers. Let glaze set, if desired, about 2 hours, and then slice and serve.
3. Store pound cake (with set glaze) airtight at room temperature for 3 days, or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Baking with tahini lends a certain creaminess and earthy flavour you never knew you were missing. Want more? We recommend these Healthy 7-Ingredient Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies!