Eating cupcakes is an indulgent treat, but what if your cupcake could also provide your body with healthy fats, protein and beta-carotene? Our nutritious carrot cupcakes are far better for you than their traditional, white flour, sugar-laden cousins, meaning they can double as a snack or even breakfast. We skip the dairy-filled buttercream icing for a “pegan” alternative that blends up cashews, lemon juice and maple syrup for a rich and healthy frosting.
Paleo Carrot Cupcakes with Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 9 cupcakes
1 ½ cups almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
⅓ cup maple syrup
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups grated carrot
Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting:
1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours or up to overnight
4 Tbsp unsweetened dairy-free milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt
1. Mix together the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg). Ensure the baking soda is mixed in very well, otherwise it can turn the carrots green.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract).
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, and then fold in the grated carrots.
4. Once everything is well combined, scoop ¼ cup of batter into a lined or oiled muffin tin, bake in a 350°F oven for 23-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. As the cupcakes are baking or cooling, prepare the icing by blending all ingredients in a blender or food processor until a smooth and silky texture forms.
6. Once the cupcakes are cool, ice them using an offset spatula or spoon, or with a piping bag (you can make this out of a Ziploc bag).
7. Top with cacao nibs, coconut flakes or lemon zest, or leave them plain.
For more wholesome baked goods, browse these 60 Vegan Desserts Even Non-Vegans Will Love and 12 Healthy Muffin Recipes for Busy On-The-Go Mornings.