This is my great-aunt’s method of making cinnamon buns, which is so easy that even kids can help. When I was young, it was always my job to grease the pan with butter before the buns went into the oven. Added bonus: with just five ingredients and five steps, it is so easy!
Easy Cinnamon Buns
Flour for dusting
Ready-made dough, homemade or store-bought
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup soft butter + more for greasing
1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
1. On a floured work surface, using rolling pin, roll out dough to about ½-inch thickness, forming a rectangle.
2. Mix together brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until very soft, but not melted. Using pastry brush, brush dough with brown sugar mixture. Gently roll up dough, jelly roll–style, ending with seam side down.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 1-inch thick slices.
4. Place, cut side down, in a well greased 13×9-inch baking dish. (Aunt Lucy would hand me an empty butter foil to scoop up soft butter with and smear inside the pan.) Cover with a tea towel; let rise until doubled in size, about 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Bake in 350°F oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Carefully turn buns out onto parchment or waxed paper. They should come out as one piece with gooey cinnamon-sugar sauce resting on top.
Published February 23, 2017, Updated February 8, 2019