Thanksgiving weekend can be one of the most hectic times, especially with a house full of visitors. Make your life easier with a simple, make-ahead breakfast casserole. Enjoy everyone’s favourite brunch dish with no need to poach, toast or fry. Just wake up and bake. The rich, buttery hollandaise sauce whips up in a snap and is drizzled over a dish filled with soft baked eggs, toasty English muffins and smoky Canadian bacon. It’s a dish that delivers bold flavour and gives you that extra time with your family and friends.
Eggs Benedict Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Rest Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
6 English muffins, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 slices of Canadian bacon, sliced into 1-inch strips
10 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 egg yolks
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
⅔ cup melted butter
¼ chopped parsley
2 Tbsp chopped chives
1. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place English muffin cubes and bacon slices into the baking dish. Whisk eggs with milk and onion powder, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into baking dish covering the bacon and bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove plastic wrap from dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake casserole for 30 minutes.
Related: Best Brunch Recipes to Feed a Crowd
3. Remove foil and bake until eggs are set and and top is beginning to turn golden, about 15 minutes.
4. While casserole is baking, make the hollandaise sauce. Place egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard in a heat-proof glass bowl and whisk to combine.
5. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water to form a double boiler. Slowly pour in a few tablespoons of melted butter while whisking vigorously. Continue to whisk while gradually adding melted butter. If mixture looks like it is about to split, whisk in a few drops of ice water and then proceed adding butter.
6. Drizzle hollandaise sauce over casserole and garnish with chopped parsley and chives. Serve immediately.
Published October 3, 2016, Updated September 11, 2018