From Oreos and Goldfish to Ben & Jerry’s, companies everywhere have come out with a chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow version of their signature treats to please customers everywhere. Somehow s’mores have become the Pumpkin Spice Latte of the warm weather season. To carry on with the trend everyone seems to be so fond of, I gave one of my own favourite snacks the s’mores treatment. I topped sea salt popcorn with drizzled milk chocolate, toasted marshmallows, graham cracker bits and a little bit of caramel, to create a treat that’s the perfect mix of sweet and salty.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
1 bag sea salt popcorn
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup light brown/golden sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips
¼ cup mini marshmallows
¼ cup broken graham crackers
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the bag of popcorn over the entire surface. Preheat oven to broil on high.
2. In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, melt the butter and stir in the sugar. Cook while stirring until completely combined and smooth. Pour the caramel over the popcorn. Be sure to work fast as the caramel dries quickly and becomes difficult to spread.
3. Divide the chocolate chips into two batches and heat them in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until melted. Mix with a spoon until smooth and drizzle over popcorn. Repeat with remaining chocolate chips.
4. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top and place the pan on the top shelf of the oven to roast the marshmallows. Be alert: you only want the marshmallows to be lightly golden and this can take as little as 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Make sure you remove the pan from the oven before the chocolate gets burnt.
5. While still warm from the oven, sprinkle the graham crackers on top. Gently press to help them stick to the chocolate. Refrigerate for about an hour and break into pieces. Enjoy!
Published August 26, 2015, Updated August 1, 2018