There are so many treats and sweets that vegan and gluten-free have to pass on, why not bake up a delicious Halloween cake everyone can enjoy. Treat your vegan and gluten-free friends to a delicious dessert with a colourful surprise inside!
Vegan Hidden Pumpkin Pound Cake
Courtesy of Christina Frantzis
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 95 min
8 Tbsp aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid), divided
2 510 g gluten-free pound cake mix
1-1/4 cup coconut or rice milk, divided
2/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp vegan orange food colouring
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
4 tsp water
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
Note: Aquafaba is the water that canned chickpeas are packed in. Strain chickpeas and reserve for another use and use the water to substitute eggs.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside.
2. Whisk 4 Tbsp of the aquafaba in a small bowl until foamy.
3. In a large bowl, whisk 1 package of the cake mix with the foamed aquafaba, 1/2 cup of the milk, 1/3 cup of the oil and the pumpkin puree until smooth. Stir in food colouring until no streaks of colour remain.
4. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on cooling rack for 20 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
5. Remove ends of cake and slice loaf into 1inch thick slices. Using a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter cut pumpkins out of centre of each slice. Reserve scraps for another use.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease clean loaf pan. Stand the pumpkin cutouts in a straight line in the pan, leaving no space between them.
7. Whisk remaining 4 tablespoons aquafaba until foamy. Stir into second cake mix along with remaining 1/4 cup of the milk and remaining 1/3 cup of the oil until smooth. Pour mix along sides of pumpkin cutouts in the pan and over top to cover, carefully straightening out if row shifts. Bake until loaf is golden and a tester inserted in the middle without piercing through the pumpkin row comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
8. Let cake cool in pan on cooling rack for 20 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
9. Stir sugar with water in a medium bowl until smooth. Drizzle over top of the cake and sprinkle with pecans. Allow 30 minutes for glaze to set before serving.
Looking for more delicious vegan desserts? Try these 50 Vegan Desserts Even Non-Vegans Will Love.