Transform the ultra Canadian dessert into an impressive party pleaser. This recipe takes the flavours of Nanaimo bars — coconut, chocolate and vanilla custard — and layers them into a decadent, drool-worthy trifle. We make it over the top with layers of chocolate wafer cookies and topping it off with whipped cream. Literally dig right into this deep-dish dessert of inspired by a classic Canadian square.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
6 Tbsp Bird’s custard powder
1/2 cup sugar
3 3/4 cups milk
1 cup 35% whipping cream
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup desiccated sweetened coconut
10 chocolate wafers, crushed
1. Mix the cake batter according to box directions. Stir in walnuts.
2. Bake in a 9×9-inch baking pan according to package directions. Let cool.
3. In a microwavable bowl, mix custard powder with sugar and milk. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Whisk mixture until smooth then microwave for another 3 minutes. Whisk again, then let stand for 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap flush to the custard to avoid a skin. Refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
4. Whip cream to soft peaks and fold in sugar.
5. Remove cake from pan and cut cake into 2-inch chunks. Layer 1/3 of cake pieces in the bottom of a trifle dish, spoon 1/3 of custard over cake pieces, then sprinkle on 1/3 coconut, then1/3 of chocolate wafer. Repeat twice.
6. Spoon whipped cream on top, and sprinkle with reserved coconut and chocolate wafer.