Turn a humble, economical and healthy can of chickpeas into five delicious salads that keep well in the fridge all week to enjoy for lunch, dinner, or as an anything-but-boring side dish. From smashed curry chickpea salad lettuce cups to chipotle sweet potato chickpea salad, these versatile recipes will surelysustain and satisfy.
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 5
1. Green Goddess Chickpea Salad
1/4 cup homemade or prepared pesto
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice, more for serving
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 lb asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups packed roughly chopped regular spinach or whole baby spinach
1 cup fresh shelled green peas or frozen, defrosted green peas
6 radishes, thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine pesto, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
2. Steam asparagus until tender, about 5 minutes, refresh with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Add asparagus to a large bowl along with pesto mixture and remaining salad ingredients. Mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 5 days. Serve with additional lemon.
2. Smashed Curry Chickpea Salad in Lettuce Cups: In a large bowl, mash 1 (19 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, with a potato masher or back of a fork until roughly smashed. Mix in 2 stalks diced celery, 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve in butter lettuce cups and garnish with pea sprouts on top.
3. Chickpea Salad Niçoise: In a large bowl, mix 1 (19 oz) can drained and rinsed chickpeas, 1/2 lb blanched green beans, 1/2 lb boiled baby new potatoes, 1/4 cup Niçoise or Kalamata olives, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, 1 Tbsp chopped capers and your favourite French vinaigrette recipe.
4. Chickpea Fattoush: In a large bowl, mix 1 (19 oz) can drained and rinsed chickpeas, 2 pieces torn well-toasted flatbread or pita, 1 diced tomato, 1/4 thinly sliced red onion, 6 chopped pitted dates, 1/2 cup crumbled feta, 4 thinly sliced Persian (baby) cucumbers, 1 Tbsp minced chives, 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp ground sumac and salt to taste.
5. Ancho Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad: In a large bowl, mix 1 (19 oz) can drained and rinsed chickpeas, 2 peeled and cubed roasted sweet potatoes, 2 thinly sliced roasted red bell peppers, 1 minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, 2 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil, 1 tsp lime zest, 1 Tbsp lime juice and 1/4 tsp salt. Serve garnished with chopped fresh cilantro and diced green onion.
Take a look at our collection of 60 Chickpea Recipes to Make Your Heart Happy.