If you’re looking for new and delicious ways to satisfy your sweet tooth this summer, we’ve got just the ticket. This decadent ice cream is chock-full of butter tart pieces and a luscious butter pecan swirl, all packed into a chocolate-dipped, pecan-crusted waffle cone.
Freezing the butter tart pieces and adding them after pureeing the frozen custard ensures the pieces don’t sink to the bottom of the mixture. No ice cream maker? No problem! The pan-freezing method makes this mouth-watering recipe a total cinch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Cool Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes
Serves: 8 scoops
1 vanilla bean
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups 35% cream
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 pecan butter tarts, chopped
8 waffle cones
3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
2 butter tarts, quartered
Butter Pecan Swirl:
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 tsp vanilla
Ice Cream Base:
1. Scrape seeds out of vanilla bean.
2. Add milk, cream, vanilla bean pod and seeds saucepan; bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks; slowly whisk in cream mixture.
5. Return to saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. Strain into a clean bowl; discard vanilla bean pods.
7. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold, about 1-2 hours.
8. Pour into a 9-inch square metal baking pan; freeze until almost solid, about 1-2 hours.
9. Freeze chopped butter tarts on parchment paper-lined baking sheet until hard, about 1 hour.
Butter Pecan Swirl:
1. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt until melted, about 3 minutes.
2. Bring to a boil. Stir in pecans and vanilla; remove from heat and set aside.
1. Break ice cream into pieces and purée in food processor until smooth. Transfer blend into a bowl and add in frozen butter tarts.
2. Scrape into 6-cup airtight container, and then swirl in butter pecan mixture.
3. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
4. Meanwhile, arrange pecans in a shallow bowl.
5. In microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate on medium, stirring once, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Dip top rim of each waffle cone into the chocolate letting excess drip back into bowl. Immediately press chocolate edge into pecans to coat.
7. Scoop ice cream into cones and garnish each cone with a quarter butter tart.