When the weather outside is sweltering, there’s nothing more satisfying than a sweet and juicy bite of fresh watermelon.
Salty feta and sweet melon are a trendy pairing that are right at home in this bright and simple salad-turned-pizza. Slice your watermelon and create these three variations for a refreshing appetizer or summer barbecue side, paired with grilled chicken, fish, seafood or tofu.
For the best slices, find a watermelon that is perfectly round. Got leftover watermelon? Don’t worry! You can blend it into juice, gazpacho, salsa or add to sangria. Get more ideas with our 30 Refreshing Watermelon Recipes.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 3 x 4-slice pizzas
1 whole watermelon
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sliced red onion
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup sliced English cucumber
1/4 cup crumbled feta
6 small basil leaves, halved
3 mint leaves
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
2 strawberries, sliced
1 Tbsp coconut, toasted
1 peach, halved
1 Tbsp olive oil
Half small red onion, sliced
2 Tbsp pecans, toasted
1/4 cup goat cheese
1. From the centre of a watermelon, cut three 1-inch thick rounds. Reserve remaining watermelon for another use.
1. In small saucepan, bring vinegar, onion, salt, and bay leaves to a boil. Remove from heat.
2. Strain from pickling liquid, and discard bay leaves.
3. Arrange pickled onions and cucumbers on one watermelon slice. Sprinkle with feta cheese and basil leaves.
4. Cut watermelon pizza into quarters to serve.
1. Stack mint leaves on top of each other. Roll up leaves from one long edge. Thinly slice into strips.
2. Arrange pineapple and strawberries on one watermelon slice. Sprinkle with coconut and mint leaves.
3. Cut watermelon pizza into quarters to serve.
1. Brush cut side of peach halves with approximately 1/2 the olive oil.
2. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Place peaches, cut side down, in grill pan and cook until lightly charred, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Toss red onion slices with remaining olive oil. Cook in same grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and thinly slice peaches.
5. Arrange peach slices and red onions on one watermelon slice. Sprinkle with pecans and crumble goat cheese over top.
6. Cut watermelon pizza into quarters to serve.