When it comes to iconic chocolate bars, there’s not one that’s more Canadian than Coffee Crisp. This crunchy milk chocolate bar with wafer and coffee-flavoured foam candy is a childhood favourite — and we’re turning it into a party-worthy dessert! Layers of vanilla cake, creamy coffee icing and crispy wafer cookies add lots of texture to this cake, and the chocolate glaze is the finishing touch to making this dessert unbelievably delicious.
Coffee Crisp Cake
Prep Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
Makes: 10 servings
1 store-bought vanilla loaf cake, or vanilla cake mix baked in a 9×5 inch loaf pan
2 x 150g cappucino or vanilla flavoured wafer cookies
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp instant coffee
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup unsalted butter
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp butter
2 x 100g milk chocolate bars, chopped
1. Use a serrated knife to cut edges off loaf cake to make a rectangular brick. Carefully cut cake sideways into three 1/2-in slices. Freeze slices in one layer on a baking sheet until ready to use.
2. To make icing, stir whipping cream with instant coffee and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds until cream is hot. Stir to dissolve coffee. In a large bowl, beat unsalted butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar, adding cream when it gets too thick. Set icing aside.
3. Place one slice of cake on a platter. Spread a thin layer of icing over cake. Top with wafer cookies. Spread with another thin layer of icing. Repeat with 2 more layers of cake, icing and wafers. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. (It’s fine if it looks a bit messy as it will get covered in chocolate glaze.) Refrigerate cake for 30 minutes.
4. To make glaze, microwave whipping cream and butter for 15 to 30 sec until cream is hot. Pour over chopped milk chocolate in a bowl. Stir until chocolate is melted. Let the chocolate cool slightly. It will thicken up a bit.
5. Pour glaze on top of cake. Use a metal spatula to spread the glaze over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
6. Slice and enjoy!