By Denise Bustard
Eating corn on the cob is always at the top of my summer bucket list, along with fresh berries, cherries and s’mores. There is just something about corn on the cob that represents all things summer to me. For one thing, it is the ultimate easy summer food. And I’m sure that everyone remembers eating it as a kid on a hot, sticky summer night, pretending to be a typewriter…chomp, chomp, chomp, ding! (I’m not alone here, am I?)
As a grown up, I look for new ways to enjoy my summer corn, and this salad is my new favourite way! It is healthy, packed with summer produce (hello, blueberries and fresh mint) and other delicious goodies (goat cheese and sliced almonds). The barley gives it some staying power, the almonds some crunch, the blueberries and corn a hint of sweetness, and goat cheese lends creaminess to it all. Best of all, it is easy to make this salad ahead of time, and it’s a perfect picnic lunch or barbecue side.
Grilled Corn and Barley Salad with Goat Cheese and Blueberries, Courtesy of Denise Bustard, sweetpeasandsaffron.com, Calgary, AB
A fresh and summery salad that’s perfect for a barbecue.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
1/4 cup (50 mL)white wine vinegar
1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup (250 mL) pearl barley (uncooked)
2 cobs corn, husks removed
1 cup (250 mL) blueberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds
1/4 cup (50 mL) red onions, sliced
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped parsley
1 pkg (4 oz/115 g) soft goat cheese, crumbled
1. In bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside.
1. Cook barley according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, heat barbecue to medium-high heat. Spray grill rack lightly with cooking spray. Grill corn, turning every 5 minutes, for 25 minutes. Cool, then cut kernels from cobs.
3. In large bowl, combine barley, corn, blueberries, almonds, red onion, parsley and goat cheese.
4. Pour reserved vinaigrette over salad ingredients and toss gently to combine.
Click here to print, save or share this Grilled Corn and Barley Salad recipe.
Sweet Peas & Saffron
Sweet Peas & Saffron is a food blog run by busy mom and grad student Denise. Here you’ll find a variety of fast and healthy dinners that are perfect for busy families who struggle with the 5 p.m. “what’s for dinner?” dilemma.