This bright and fresh summer salad is loaded with tons of great ingredients: oranges, raw kale, almonds and a creamy yogurt lemon dressing.
Rather than smothering this gorgeous dish with multiple artery-clogging dairy products, we used light coconut yogurt and made some homemade tofu feta instead. Trust us — it will blow your taste buds away!
For the tofu feta:
1/2 brick extra firm tofu, cubed
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1. In a bowl or glass container, whisk together rice vinegar, lemon juice, non-dairy milk, basil, garlic and sea salt.
2. Submerge the cubes of tofu in the liquid and cover bowl with plastic wrap or fit the lid to your container.
3. Refrigerate micture for a minimum of 3 hours and up to 24 hours to develop more flavour.
For the salad dressing:
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp agave nectar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each sea salt and pepper
1/2 cup snipped chives (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk with coconut yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, agave nectar, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Stir in chives, if using.
2. Store dressing in the fridge until ready to use.
For the salad:
1 small bunch of kale (approx. 10 cups)
1 seedless orange, peeled and cut into segments
1/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup crumbled tofu feta (as per above)
1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled and cut into cubes
1. Trim the kale by cutting out and discarding the tough ribs of leaves.
2. Stack leaves and then slice crosswise into strips about 1 1/4 inches (3 cm) wide.
3. Place kale in a serving bowl and add orange segments, almonds and tofu feta, and gently toss.
4. Drizzle with about 1 cup of dressing, then gently toss in avocado.
5. Refrigerate remaining dressing up to 5 days.
Tip: for even more flavour, toast almonds for a couple of minutes in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant.