Eating vegan food isn’t about sacrifice or restriction but rather expanding your palette and creating magic in the kitchen! Here’s another recipe to prove our point. This delicious, egg-free quiche has savoury mushrooms and asparagus in a fluffy filling with flakey crust and is served with a tart red pepper relish that will leave your mouth watering for more.
Makes: 12 mini quiches
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons cold vegan butter (1/2 cup)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup cold water
1 cup medium soft tofu
¼ cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce)
½ teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon ground chia (or flax)
1 teaspoon arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper (or ground pepper)
1 ½ cups diced mushrooms
½ cup diced asparagus
¼ cup finely chopped shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Red Pepper Relish Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped red pepper (approx. 1 pepper)
½ cup finely chopped white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
¼ cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons agave nectar
½ teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. To make the crust, combine all-purpose flour, sea salt, and cold vegan butter in a food processor. While the machine is running slowly add cold water. Stop the machine once the dough comes together in a ball.
3. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out until it’s ¼” thick.
4. Cut out 5” wide circles. You should only need to roll out the dough twice and cut circles.
5. Then gently press each circle of dough into the cups of a regular size muffin pan and bake for 10 minutes.
6. While the crust is baking cook the shallots, mushrooms, and asparagus in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes and add sea salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
7. Combine the remaining filling ingredients together in a high-powered blender until smooth.
8. Pour this mixture into a large mixing bowl and fold in the cooked vegetables.
9. Fill baked crusts with the filling and bake for 20 minutes at 350F.
10. While the quiche are baking make the red pepper relish by sautéing red pepper and onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chili flakes and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Bring heat to medium-low to prevent burning the garlic and onion.
11. Then add white wine vinegar, agave nectar, and dijon mustard and simmer for 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
12. Serve quiche right out of the oven with dollops of red pepper relish on top. Garnish with finely chopped chives if desired.