Today I found myself with an abundance of hot dogs in my fridge and no hot dog buns to be found. Now some people may have just given up right there, but not me. I was determined to eat two hot dogs for lunch.
I could have settled on eating them bunless, or on a slice of bread, but that just wasn’t doing it for me. Then I saw mini tortillas in my freezer, and I knew what I had to do. Enter: Tortilla Hot Dog Wraps, or “Pigs in a Poncho,” as some people call them. I kept my ingredients pretty simple — a tasty hot dog, surrounded by gooey cheese and red onion, encased in a crunchy tortilla — but feel free to add whatever you want to yours!
Prep Time: 2 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
1 small tortilla
1 hot dog
1. Get a pan on medium-low heat, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
2. If you want your hot dog to poke out of each end, slice two of the edges off the tortilla (refer to picture).
3. Place some red onion near the bottom of the tortilla, then sprinkle cheese on the tortilla and top the hot dog.
4. Roll the tortilla tightly around the hot dog.
5. Place in pan with the end of the tortilla on the bottom, which allows it to fry and stay closed.
6. Rotate as each side becomes golden brown, cooking until the whole tortilla is golden brown.
7. Remove to paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
8. Serve with your favourite dipping sauces.
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are the dynamic sibling duo behind BS’ in the Kitchen. While Carlene leans towards the sweeter side of things, baking up delicious desserts, you can count on Bob to cook up something savoury! Aside from blogging on BS’ in the Kitchen, Carlene works in marketing & communications, and sidelines as a lifestyle & wedding photographer, while Bob operates his own media company, with a focus on food photography, and videography!
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.