Ever since I turned vegan, I’ve been experimenting with different versions of mac & cheese. There are many ways to make it and I love our perfect vegan mac & cheese recipe made with cashews. But I’ve turned out a really quick version that doesn’t involve soaking nuts overnight! It’s still really creamy, kinda cheesy, healthy and kinda cute with the little green peas in it.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 x 454 g package Tinkyada brown rice spirals or approximately 5 cups of noodles of your choice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup frozen peas
2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white miso
1 Tbsp gluten-free tamari
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup pasta water, reserved from boiling pasta
Ground pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil with sea salt.
2. In a dish, mix together tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, white miso, nutritional yeast, tamari and garlic. Set aside.
3. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add in brown rice pasta and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until al dente. Add frozen peas to the boiling water during the last minute of cooking.
4. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water right before draining. Then drain the pasta and peas, do not rinse. Put the peas back in the large pot.
5. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of pasta water to start, and stir to combine with the noodles and peas over low heat on the stovetop. Stir constantly to allow the noodles to get coated, adding more pasta water as necessary to create a creamy consistency. Don’t heat for longer than 2-3 minutes.
6. Top with fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.