You know those nights when you just feel like a Big Mac? Well don’t go get one because you’ll hate yourself afterwards. Instead, make this vegan “Big Mac” at home in a flash and hate yourself a little less from the comfort of your own couch! I hope you know I’m joking — I haven’t hated myself after eating once since going vegan two years ago.
I made this burger using Gardein’s ultimate beefless burger patties and Fieldroast’s chao cheese, and I made a quick “Big Mac” sauce using vegan mayonnaise (recipe follows). I also have to admit: my vegan “Big Mac” looks a lot more alive than the one you get at the drive through!
Ingredients (1 burger):
2 vegan burger patties
2 tsp barbecue sauce
2 slices of vegan cheddar cheese
1 1/2 large kaiser rolls
Use these ingredients to your liking:
Boston leaf lettuce
White or red onion, finely minced
Relish (or pickles)
Vegan “Big Mac” sauce ingredients:
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
1/2 Tbsp hot sauce (or ketchup)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to assemble the vegan “Big Mac”.
2. Cook vegan burger patties in a pan on the stove or on a barbecue, and baste them in barbecue sauce as you go. Melt cheese slices on top during last minute of cooking.
3. Cut one kaiser roll in half and take another kaiser roll and cut a slice off the bottom for the middle piece.
4. Put vegan “Big Mac” sauce and relish (if using) on both sides of the middle pieces of the bun and the inside of the top and bottom bun. Add your burger patties with cheese between each piece of bun, and then add onions, lettuce and pickles to your liking.
5. Dive in and don’t forget lots of napkins!