Being new to collard greens, I am quite the fan — the large, hearty leaves make a great vehicle for other ingredients. Although this isn’t an entirely healthy recipe (see: bacon & cheese), using a collard green as a wrap instead of your typical tortilla is a great alternative for breakfast if you’re looking to eat more veggies and cut down on carbs. Of course, if you want deprive yourself, you can omit the bacon and cheese, making it super healthy. But I say spoil yourself and stick with the good stuff!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
2 slices of bacon
2 collard green leaves
2-3 slices of cheddar cheese
1 slice of red onion
3 cherry tomatoes, chopped
Handful of chopped green onion
Salt & pepper
1. Place bacon in a pan, turn to medium heat. Flip bacon once the first side has browned.
2. Add red onion to the pan and continue cooking until desired crispness, then remove bacon and onion, placing bacon on paper towel.
3. In the same pan, lay your collard green leaves one over the other, cooking covered for about 5-10 minutes until tender. Remove to plate once done.
4. In a bowl, scramble eggs, add tomatoes, green onions, and salt & pepper to taste.
5. Add butter to pan if needed, cook eggs to your liking.
6. On top of collard greens, add cheese, bacon, onions, and eggs. Fold collard greens over top of egg mixture, rolling until leaves overlap one another, allowing them to stick to one another.
7. Serve and enjoy.
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are the dynamic sibling duo behind BS’ in the Kitchen. While Carlene leans towards the sweeter side of things, baking up delicious desserts, you can count on Bob to cook up something savoury! Aside from blogging on BS’ in the Kitchen, Carlene works in marketing & communications, and sidelines as a lifestyle & wedding photographer, while Bob operates his own media company, with a focus on food photography, and videography!
Carlene and Bob Deutscher are part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.