Sandwiches are one of my absolute favourite things to eat! And it just so happens that this dish looks and tastes just like a classic clubhouse sandwich but without the greasy meat. Get your choice of hearty bread and start stacking this baby with all the fixins’.
Mushroom Bacon Ingredients:
1 portobello mushroom, thinly sliced
1/4 cup tamari (can sub soy sauce)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together tamari, water, maple syrup, liquid smoke and smoked paprika. Coat thin slices of portobello mushroom with the marinade and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the slices and brush some remaining sauce on them. Bake for another 15 minutes. While the mushroom bacon is cooking, you can prep the remaining sandwich ingredients.
Sandwich Ingredients (makes 2):
2 PC Blue Menu vegetarian chicken breasts
1 teaspoon oil (for frying chicken)
6 slices bread
1/4 cup vegan butte
1/3 cup vegan mayo
4-5 pieces iceberg lettuce
4 tomato slices
2 pickles, quartered
Pepper to taste
1. Over medium heat, brown the vegetarian chicken breasts in a pan with 1 teaspoon of oil. This should take 5-6 minutes. Slice the cooked breasts into strips.
2. Toast the 6 slices of bread, and butter them while still warm.
3. To assemble one sandwich, add some mayo to the bottom slice then add a couple pieces of ice berg lettuce and then sliced chicken. The middle piece of bread should have mayo on both sides. Then stack 2 tomato
4. slices, add pepper to taste, place half the mushroom bacon on top and then the last piece of bread with more mayo on the inside.
5. Slice the sandwich into quarters with a sharp knife and place toothpicks in the centre of each quarter to hold the sandwich together.
6. Serve with pickle spears and chow down!