This juicy blueberry plum crumble is gluten free. My blog, Gratinée, is a reflection of what I like to eat, but it’s certainly not what I eat every day – which definitely falls more in the domain of clean eating than comfort food. I use ingredients like almond meal and coconut sugar, but for the folks who want to stick by the regular pantry standbys, I also give you the regular way of making this classic dessert.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Plum Crumble with Almond Crunch
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
2 cups blueberries
Approximately 10 plums, halved
2/3 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar), divided
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup thick gluten free rolled oats
1/3 cup almond meal or gluten free all-purpose “flour” or (regular flour)
1/3 cup sliced almonds
3 ounces butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine blueberries and plums in a mixing bowl with ? cup coconut sugar and the lemon juice. Transfer to a 7-inch casserole, cast iron pan, or non-reactive baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats with the flour or almond meal, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add butter and work into the flour with fingers until well combined; incorporate almonds.
- Spoon evenly over blueberries and plums.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with generous scoops of vanilla bean ice cream or whipping cream.
Darina Kopcok is a food writer and photographer based in Vancouver, BC. She writes the blog Gratinée, for which she also develops, styles and shoots each recipe. In addition to photographic training from Langara College, she holds an MFA from the University of British Columbia. She has a passion for Italian cuisine and French culinary technique.
Darina Kopcok is part of the Lifestyle Blog Network family.